Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Science experiment : Volcano Eruptions

Every family has some or other family activity which they do as a tradition or regular fun activity on weekend. I have been thinking about it for quite some time, just couldn't think what to do. I definitely don't want it around food. I wanted it to a fun activity- something educational, exciting, fun for us(adults) and Avaneesh as well. I have found our family activity for weekends - science experiments!!!!




We did a volcano experiment. For this science experiment, I used a tall plastic glass and kept it on oval plastic plate( only shape in plastic plate I had) I taped the glass with the plate using a masking tape. We spread a plastic sheet on the floor and kept the 'volcanic mountain' in the center. Then I put a few spoons of baking powder and poured vinegar over it. Bubbles started rising and it started overflowing from its crater. 

Avaneesh loved it and was very excited to see the volcano eruption.  I told him abut lava-molten rock. Why and volcano happen, how the mountain expands, smoke, gas and clouds coming out of the volcano. My 2.5 year old got so interested in volcanoes and watched videos with great interest about volcanic expedition and eruptions. Now he gets excited whenever he sees volcano or anything in the shape of a mountain with a crater in center. He says I am going inside the volcano(expedition)

I did lot of research on the net before starting this experiment. 
I suggest reading these two detailed posts on this topic : sciencebob and chemistry.about
Be cautious with science experiments around toddlers, I let Avaneesh only watch the experiment.



5 comments:

Julie said...

I am loving seeing all of your creations for and with your son! He is a lucky boy! I am doing similar crafty stuff with my grandkids. It is fun, but messy! hehehe.

Purnima@a creative project said...

Thanks Julie!! It's fun doing craft with kids, isn't it!! we get to be kids again:))

K said...

Purnima, This is a great idea - lately my son is interested in volcanos too - this will surely excite him :) Thanks for the tip.

Purnima@a creative project said...

Thats so nice!! Definitely try this experiment its very easy and effective !!

Nayana said...

This is such a neat idea!! Great will do it with my son.

ShareThis